James Part 1 - Trials, Wisdom, Poverty
Scripture: James 1:1–11
- Trials will find us
- Trials are opportunities to rejoice
- Trials shape us
- Trials vary in their kinds
- When we don't know what to do, we pray
- We ask because God gives wisdom
- We don't doubt because we know the outcome if we do
JOY: I know that God hears and answers
TRANSFORMATION: my reliance + God's answer = deeper faiith
- Poor struggle here but not there
- JOY: what limits me here will not there
- TRANSFORMATION: clarity of genuine treasure and creative generosity
- Rich humiliated by lack of lasting value
- "What earns me favor with others earns me no favor with God"
- "The marks of success can hinder me from following Jesus"
- "What I count on goes away"
- JOY: I can invest in lasting things (1 Tim 6:17-19)
- TRANFORMATION: agenda change and open hands
- Are you grateful for what God has entrusted to you?
- Are you enjoying God's gift as he intends?
- What does your giving say about your heart?
- Do you have a plan for investing in eternity via your generosity?