Part 3 - The Son
Topic: Doctrine Scripture: Philippians 2:5–11, Hebrews 2:17–18
In Jesus, God became man to save us.
Jesus is God
- He is not the "son of God" as some use it but is God the Son
- He understood this about Himself (see John 8, John 10, etc.)
God became man
- Virgin birth led to sinless life led to sacrificial death
- In His human nature, had human experiences
Q: Did He surrender some/all of His divinity?
A: NO! 100% God + 100% man = 100% Jesus
Q: Why does it matter that he was sinless?
A: His obedience represents our obedience
A: He can make a sinless sacrifice on our behalf
A: He can help those tempted
Q: Why does it matter that He was God and man?
A: Human - what is not assumed cannot be redeemed (Gregory of Naziansus)
A: Divine - truly no man can ransom another (Ps 49:7)
- He actually did what He set out to do
- He is the Lord of all
- Confess it now
- Take the mindset